Conceptual Design (30%)
Where are we now?
Design to date has focused on coordination with the railroads and TriMet on the location of bus stops and improvements in and around rail crossings.
What is being planned?
The improvements for Main Street are intended to be pedestrian and environmentally friendly and consistent with street design on the south end of Main Street. Design elements will include:
- New street lighting
- Improved sidewalks
- Safer pedestrian crossings
- American with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant features
- Stormwater planters
- Street trees; landscaping
- Angled parking – the number of parking spaces will likely stay the same
- Bus stops with greater visibility, larger shelters and dedicated loading zones
- Safer access to downtown businesses
In addition, aging water lines along Main Street will be replaced.
What does this mean for the downtown businesses?
Construction is planned for 2021. The specific details are not yet known, but will likely include traffic delays and detours, limited parking and interrupted pedestrian access. Efforts will be made to work with property owners and businesses on Main Street to reduce impacts for customers, employees and deliveries.
The City understands downtown businesses have been impacted by COVID-19, and construction on Main Street will raise additional questions and concerns about the impact on business operations and economic security. The City of Tigard is committed to supporting businesses and employees and has multiple programs to provide assistance including Shop Tigard! and COVID Business Support. These programs and others will continue to support downtown businesses during the construction of Main Street Green Street Phase 2.
If you would like to speak to someone about the specific impacts to your property and business, please contact the project team listed below. If you have ideas on how the City can support the businesses during construction, please let us know.
- Contact the project team with questions
- Andy Newbury, Senior Project Engineer, 503-718-2472, AndrewN@tigard-or.gov
- Christy Zellmer, Project Coordinator, 503-718-2468, ChristinaZ@tigard-or.gov